ROCKIES WINTER EXPLORER
This tour is the ultimate winter adventure for those seeking an unforgettable experience in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Stay overnight at three of the most famous ski resort towns, Vernon, Banff and Golden, and have plenty of time to participate in winter activities and see spectacular places in the Rockies. These may include frozen waterfalls and lakes, and even wildlife like elk and bighorn sheep. This tour is a snow lover’s dream and a sightseer’s paradise.
Don’t forget to check out the available optional activities to add on to your itinerary and make the most out of your trip! We offer special discounted rates.
Please note that this is a sample itinerary and is subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances, such as weather or road closures.
Vancouver to Vernon
- Depart Vancouver from Canada Place at 7:15am (please arrive by 7:00am)
- The fun begins! Your friendly and experienced tour guide will start off the tour with introductions and games so you can meet the other passengers
- Hear interesting facts about Vancouver as you make your way out of the city and into the mountains!
- Check into the hotel in Vernon and make your way to SilverStar Mountain Resort for free snow tubing in the afternoon
- Upon return to the hotel, option to go to the adjoining casino or pub (19+ only) or relax in the hotel pool and hot tub after an active day outside
*Photo courtesy of SilverStar Mountain Resort
Vernon to Banff
- Enjoy breakfast included in the hotel
- Drive through the beautiful snow-capped peaks of Mount Revelstoke National Park & Glacier National Park
- Visit Roger’s Pass National Historic Site
- Arrive at the world renowned Lake Louise with the option to go ice skating or play hockey on the frozen lake! (seasonal)
- Drive to Banff and enjoy a city tour including Banff Springs Hotel, Bow Falls, and Banff Avenue
- Check into your centrally located hotel in Banff
- Free time to go shopping on Banff Avenue or join your guide for a VIP night out of dancing in the evening
Banff to Golden
- Breakfast included in the hotel
- Option to participate on an optional activity at an additional cost, such as going on the Banff Gondola, go snowshoeing or icewalking, or spend the day skiing or snowboarding at Lake Louise Mountain Resort
- Skiers and snowboarders depart for Lake Louise Mountain Resort. There is also the option for non-skiers to take the Lake Louise Sightseeing Gondola for amazing views of the surrounding mountains. *Please note transportation to Lake Louise is not included, but you can take a free mountain shuttle
- For those not participating in an optional activity, check out of the hotel and enjoy free time to explore the town of Banff
- In the afternoon, depart Banff and make your way to Golden!
- Stop in Emerald Lake (weather and time permitting)
- Free time to have dinner, and enjoy the pool, waterslide and hot tub
- After dinner, join your guide for an end of tour party including a campfire & marshmallow roast
*Photo courtesy of Banff & Lake Louise Tourism
Golden to Vancouver
- Enjoy breakfast (included) before departing Golden
- Stop at Craigellachie, the Last Spike of the Canadian Railway, and learn about its importance in Canadian history
- Return to Vancouver at approximately 7:30pm
When do lakes start to freeze?
Typically, lakes in the Canadian Rockies start to freeze in late November, and they stay like that until the end of winter. The ice on the lakes can start to melt as early as late April, but most years we need to wait until June to be able to swim in them. The exact timings vary each year depending on several weather conditions and cannot be guaranteed.
When the lakes are frozen, there are many exciting winter activities offered, inluding ice skating or ice hockey games!
Is it cold in the Rockies?
Weather in the Rockies during the winter months can get very cold. It is strongly recommended to pack warm clothes, thermal and waterproof layers, a winter coat, snow or warm boots, gloves and a hat to ensure you have the best time on your winter adventure!
Do I need to bring a towel?
It is not necessary to bring a towel with you, as all the hotels we stay at provide them. You can choose to pack your own towel according to your preference.
Can I bring my big luggage?
In order to accommodate all of our guests, we currently allow one (1) piece of luggage, preferrably a small/carry-on suitcase, and one personal item (small backpack or handbag) per person. We recommend you bring luggage that you can easily manage, as we will be on the road after every night.
If you have any excess luggage, please contact us for further assistance.
Can I go skiing/snowboarding on this tour?
While skiing/snowboarding is not included in the itinerary of this tour, you can add on a full-day lift ticket & equipment rentals to ski/board at Lake Louise Mountain Resort (additional cost, see optional add-ons below). We recommend this activity for skiers with an intermediate or advanced level, as beginner lessons are not available.
- Enjoy 3 night stays in different ski resort towns with breakfast included
- Have fun on the way to the Rockies with games, entertainment and prizes on the bus
- Get to know your friendly tour guide to make sure you have the best trip ever!
- Go snow tubing at SilverStar Mountain Resort for free
- Experience the Canadian bonfire & marshmallow roast to make s’mores (weather dependent)
- Party the night away in Banff
- Get extra discounts on optional activities when you book in advance
What to Bring:
- Warm clothes, as it can get very cold
- A warm, windproof winter coat
- Waterproof and/or thermal layers are highly recommended
- Hat and gloves
- Warm, sturdy shoes, preferrably snow boots
- Swimsuit for heated pools and hot tubs
- 2 pieces of ID (drinking age in British Columbia is 19, and 18 in Banff, Alberta)